Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Big Day

August 2012

Tuesday we have our first appointment at Lucile Packard Children's Hospital. Mind you we've been part of their clinics since Bug was born in 2005, but for some reason this is the "big deal."

I wanted to go double check the name of the doctor we are asking to see (recommend by the pediatrician) and I found a "Kids" page on their website. Then came the tears . . . my tears.

Bug doesn't know this is any different than any other appointment we've ever had, but for me it's pivotal. She's not normal even among the congenital hypothyroid set--and the doctors' are continually baffled by her test results. It doesn't make it any easier that despite my constant monitoring of the CH parents' page on the Magic Foundation FB page, I still feel alone.

Sometimes it makes me sad to think she's so different even among her CH peers. The other kids don't fluctuate so drastically with the medication needs.

And then I read on about how around 11 many kids don't want to take their pill anymore because they don't want to be different. And I cry.

You'd think after 7 years I'd be used to this. But that is not the case and I'm sure it never will be. I worry about what happens with puberty around the corner and when she becomes a pre-teen and thinks that taking a pill is abnormal.

Today Bug had a blood draw before our Tuesday appointment and the phlebotomist had a hard time finding the vein in her left arm because of the scarring due to the past draws. She's 7! What does that mean for the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment